Browser Compatibility Notification
It appears you are trying to access this site using an outdated browser. As a result, parts of the site may not function properly for you. We recommend updating your browser to its most recent version at your earliest convenience.

Animal Control

Decrease Text Size Default Text Size Increase Text Size |
Print Link

The Municipal Enforcement Peace Officers are responsible for animal control within the Town, including: capturing stray dogs, barking dog complaints, managing the Dog Pound and investigating animal cruelty matters.

Dog Licences

All dogs over the age of 5 months must be licensed annually with the Town. Dog licences are available at the Town Office during regular business hours. The cost of a dog licence is:

  • $10 for a spayed or neutered dog
  • $20 for an intact dog
  • $5 to replace a lost dog licence

Missing and Impounded Dogs

Inquiries regarding missing dogs should be directed only to 867-777-8616.

Due to the volume of dogs in the Dog Pound, the Town does not post notices advertising impounded dogs. We will attempt to contact dog owners when the dog is found wearing a valid dog licence.

Dog impound fees vary based on the number of times the dog has been impounded, the number of days the dog was at the Dog Pound and whether or not the dog is currently licensed. Dogs not claimed within 3 business days of impoundment become property of the Town of Inuvik.

The Town of Inuvik would like to thank Canadian North for their generous support in relocating unwanted dogs down south for adoption. 


The Animal Control By-law regulates animals within the Town of Inuvik. Some regulations to consider are:

  • All dogs must be contained on their property and leashed when being walked in public places.
  • Owners are required to pick up any dog waste.
  • Dog owners must ensure that their dog does not bark excessively as to disturb the neighbourhood.
  • Dogs must be provided with adequate food, water and shelter.
  • Dog teams and kennels require special permits from the town and have additional regulations.
  • A Municipal Enforcement Peace Officer may issue a fine or seize any dog that is not in compliance with the By-law.

For further information, please refer to the Animal Control By-law.