Browser Compatibility Notification
It appears you are trying to access this site using an outdated browser. As a result, parts of the site may not function properly for you. We recommend updating your browser to its most recent version at your earliest convenience.

ATVs & Snowmobiles

Decrease Text Size Default Text Size Increase Text Size |
Print Link


The Municipal Enforcement Peace Officers are responsible for enforcement of the ATV By-law which regulates snow machines, dirt bikes and all-terrain vehicles.

Vehicle Registration

All ATVs (including snow machines) must be registered with the Town of Inuvik, and have the issued licence plate affixed to the vehicle. ATV licence plates are available at the Town Office during regular business hours.




All ATV operators (exclusive of Elders)

 $  25.00 

per licence

Elders Licence

 $    1.00

per licence

Replacement of a Lost Licence

 $  10.00

per licence

Replacement of a Lost Licence - Elders

 $    1.00

per licence

ATV/Snowmobile Registration Form

Please note that proof of a valid insurance for the ATV is required before a plate can be issued. ATV licence plates are not transferable between owners or vehicles.


Some ATV regulations to consider are:

  • ATVs are subject to the same 'rules of the road' as cars, including: speed limits and stop signs.
  • Only persons holding a valid driver's licence or Town issued ATV Operator's Permit may operate an ATV within the Town.
  • A CSA approved helmet is required to be worn at all times (elders/trappers exempt).
  • Valid public liability and property damage insurance is required for all ATVs.
  • ATVs are prohibited from certain areas of Town, including: schools, parks, sidewalks, ski trails, and where
  • posted by signage. ATVs are also prohibited from being operated on private property, except with the owner's permission.
  • All vehicles must have a functioning head light, trail light, brake, brake light and muffler; and be in a safe mechanical condition.
  • The issued ATV licence plate must be affixed to the front or rear of the ATV, except snowmobiles where it must be on the rear left side.
  • A Municipal Enforcement Peace Officer may issue a fine or seize any ATV that is being operated in contravention of the By-law.

For further information, please refer to the ATV By-law.